Country Profile

Hungary

In 1885, Elder Thomas Biesinger and Paul E.B. Hammer entered Budapest, Hungary, after preaching in Prague, Bohemia (Czechoslovakia). After a month with little success in the area, Elder Biesinger and his companion left Hungary. Later, Hungarian Mischa Markow was converted near Constantinople (Istanbul) in 1887 and returned to preach in his native land the following year, but he was banished from Hungary after being imprisoned in solitary confinement. In 1900, Elder Markow and his companion preached in Temesvar, Hungary, until the government forced them to leave. The day before they left, they baptized 12 people and appointed leaders for a congregation of 31 people. Due to the efforts of these missionaries and others who arrived later, a total of 106 people were baptized prior to World War I. The war forced missionaries to evacuate Europe and join the other half of Hungary's Church membership who had already emigrated to the United States. Several of those who remained in Hungary continued to live gospel teachings while the Church organization was away from their area.

In June 1988, Hungary gave the Church legal recognition. Ground was broken for the first meetinghouse in eastern Hungary about 20 miles from the Romanian border. Hungary's first meetinghouse was dedicated in October 1989, by President Thomas S. Monson, a Counselor to the Church President. The Hungary Budapest Mission was created in June 1990. In 1991, the Mormon Tabernacle Choir performed in Budapest to an enthusiastic audience that gave the choir eight curtain calls. Elder Dallin H. Oaks of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles visited Hungary in 1992 for an international consultation on religious liberty and ethnic rights for Eastern European nations, partially sponsored by the Hungary-based Democracy after Communism Foundation.

 

For Journalist Use Only:

Viktória Demó

Phone: +3630-67-86-745

E-mail

 

Style Guide Note:When reporting about The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, please use the complete name of the Church in the first reference. For more information on the use of the name of the Church, go to our online Style Guide.