The first missionaries to Hong Kong visited for four months in 1853, but internal problems in China made missionary efforts difficult. The Church began to grow when missionary headquarters were established in Hong Kong in 1949. By 1951, approximately 30 people attended weekly Church meetings. By 1960, approximately 1,700 members were divided into eight congregations. Over the next five years, membership grew to 3,000. In 1975, membership was 10,000. In the past 10 years, membership has nearly doubled.
The Hong Kong temple was completed in 1996 on the Kowloon peninsula. The temple is topped by a gold-colored dome and large angel statue.
For Journalist Use Only