Missionaries arrived in Copenhagen in June 1850, and baptized the first convert in August. Within two months the missionaries baptized 15 people and established both a congregation and mission headquarters in Copenhagen. Other congregations were established throughout Denmark. Despite Church growth, heavy persecution raged against members, and in 1851, a mob vandalized the meeting hall in Aalborg where Church members met.
The first converts to emigrate to the United States left in January 1852. Of about 26,000 people who were converted during this early period, some 14,000 converts immigrated to the United States by 1930. In April 1920, the Danish Mission was organized. Many members served missions and attended the Swiss Temple after it was dedicated in 1955. In 1973, a religious education program was organized in Denmark to educate youth on religious subjects and to prepare them for future leadership positions. The first stake (diocese) in Denmark was organized in Copenhagen in 1974.
For Journalist Use Only
Address: Bøgevej 16, 4330 Hvalsø, Denmark
Mobile: +45 20 26 12 00