G. Gordon Whyte of Moose Jaw was the first member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Saskatchewan. He was baptized in August 1923 and later moved to Regina. Whyte and John G. Allred preached in a street meeting in Regina where they placed 16 copies of the Book of Mormon, a book containing religious writings of some civilizations in ancient America, including an account of the ministry of Jesus Christ on the American continent. The Church sent missionaries to Regina in 1925, organized a congregation there, and dedicated a meetinghouse in 1939. Church membership in Saskatchewan grew from 145 in 1930 to 4,200 in 1990.
Latter-day Saint farmers in southern Alberta and their neighbors donated two boxcars of vegetables and food to 20 families in the Regina congregation and 180 other families suffering the effects of a severe drought in 1934. In November 1999 the Church completed a temple in Regina.