Missionaries for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the 1830's frequently traveled through but found little success in Lower Canada, as the province of Quebec was then called. They found proselyting difficult among its largely French-speaking people. In 1836, however, Hazen Aldrich and Winslow Farr proselyted in Stanstead County and baptized a number of people. Twenty-three of these emigrated on 20 July 1837. After the 1840s, missionary work slowed as many Canadian Church members joined other Latter-day Saints who were gathering in the western United States.
The Canadian Mission was organized in 1919. By 1930, an English-speaking branch (a small congregation) began meeting in Montreal. A meetinghouse for this branch was purchased in 1942 and served local Church members until the late 1970s.
In 1961, six French-speaking missionaries were sent to the areas near Quebec. The missionaries attracted converts and established a base for more Latter-day Saint French-speaking immigrants. Later missionaries entered Quebec City where a branch was organized in 1969. The Quebec Mission (later changed to the Canada Montreal Mission) was created in 1972, and by 1974 several French-speaking branches were created.