A member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints living in Souris, Manitoba, petitioned the president of the Canadian Mission to send missionaries to Manitoba in 1897. The missionaries proselyted new church members there, although many of the converts emigrated to Alberta.
In 1910 the Winnipeg Sunday School was organized with 37 members. Church membership in the district grew to 197 by 1930, including those in the Winnipeg and Bergland, Ontario branches.
The Canada Winnipeg Mission was created in 1976 with about 4,200 members in four districts, including Saskatchewan and western Ontario. The Winnipeg Manitoba Stake (similar to a diocese) was created in 1978.