St. George Utah Temple
250 East 400 South
St. George, Utah
Plans to construct the temple were announced 9 November 1871, and Church leaders broke ground the same day. Brigham Young, president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from 1847 to 1877, presided at the dedication of the St. George Utah Temple and President Daniel H. Wells of the First Presidency gave the dedicatory prayer 6 April 1877. Nearly 100 years later, Spencer W. Kimball, president of the Church from 1973 to 1985, rededicated the temple on 11 November 1975 after it was remodeled. The temple serves Latter-day Saints in southwestern Utah and parts of Nevada and Arizona.
The 108,536-square-foot temple’s exterior is native red sandstone, quarried north of the city then plastered white.
Currently, there are more than 20 temples in various stages of construction or have been announced throughout the world.
Visit MormonTemples.org for additional information.