(This story was updated 13 March 2012)
This free app for iPads, which appeared in the iTunes app store Thursday, 8 December allows users to experience Bible stories through sight, sound and touch. Users can explore biblical environments, watch scripture-based videos and photo slideshows and discover interesting facts about biblical accounts. The website and app are based on accounts of Christ's life from the King James Version of the Bible.
As new videos are added to BibleVideos.lds.org each month, and as new features become available, the App Store will automatically notify users that an update is available. Dozens more videos will be added to the website and app in the near future.
Plans to expand to other tablet platforms and languages, including Spanish and Portuguese, are in the works.
Update on 13 March 2012:
Since their launch on 4 December and 8 December respectively, BibleVideos.lds.org and its accompanying iPad app have been viewed by thousands of people. Here are a few numbers:
- BibleVideos.lds.org has 2,889,000 page views
- Videos on BibleVides.lds.org have been viewed a combined 2,060,471 minutes
- BibleVideos.lds.org has more than 50,200 Facebook likes
- The iPad app has 36,000 downloads
- Users in 203 countries have viewed BibleVideos.lds.org