Editor-in-Chief, The University of Chicago Law Review, 1956–57.
• Law Clerk to Chief Justice Earl Warren, United States Supreme Court, 1957–58.
• Professor, The University of Chicago Law School, 1961–71.
• Legal Counsel, Bill of Rights Committee, Illinois Constitutional Convention, 1970.
• President, Brigham Young University, 1971–80.
• Chairman of the Board, Public Broadcasting Service, 1980–85 (board member, 1977–85).
• Justice, Utah Supreme Court, 1981–84.
• Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 1984–present.